Search Engine Optimisation is a practice by content creators to increase web traffic. On-page SEO dramatically helps in increasing page visibility on search engines. It is, therefore, essential to consider an on-page SEO cheat sheet to achieve visibility. An on-page SEO cheat sheet provides tools that will improve the quality and quantity of traffic as well as organic searches on the website.
On-page SEO, also known as on-site SEO, is a parameter for optimizing web content searches on search engines such as Google and Bing, among others. The most common parameters provided on several on-page SEO cheat sheets include optimization of URLs, contents, title tags, and internal links. As much as there are different types of SEO, this article will focus on how to improve on-page SEO.
Three Types of SEO
SEO, as a whole entity, can be in three different categories. Understanding all these three SEO strategies will make it easier for any content creator to organize their optimization plans. The execution of these strategies will help improve your site’s visibility and consequently increase web traffic.
- On-page SEO: this strategy relates to the contents of the site. Content creators use on-page SEO to help search engines understand the content of the web page(s) and determine how valuable the content is to users. This strategy highly focuses on the optimization of keywords.
- Technical SEO: the technical strategy relates to elements that do not link directly to the site’s contents. Typically, technical SEO helps to improve the readability of your site and user experience on the site. Enhancing your site using technical SEO parameters includes improving the speed, indexing, the security, and crawl ability, among many others.
- Off-page SEO: this strategy of SEO helps in strengthening the relationship between your site and other sites. Off-page SEO builds on the reputation, reliability, and trustworthiness of the site. Off-page SEO dramatically helps in improving the domain authority of your page.
Importance of SEO
According to the definition, SEO is a process that helps content creators to optimize websites for search engines. What does it mean to optimize your website? Well, optimization of a website simply means to increase the chances of the occurrence of the following:
- Enables search engines such as Google to access and index the website without any challenges
- Ensures that content in the website is relevant to the users by providing high-quality material
- Optimization helps engine spiders to successfully navigate and fully understand the context of the content in the website
- Enhances the ability of search engine crawlers to understand the structure of the site fully
- Gives search engines such as Google the algorithm reasons to trust the website and rank above other competitors.
On-Page SEO Cheat Sheet
Script Millers provides on-page SEO cheat sheet will give several strategies that will make your site rank above other competitor sites. Additionally, the on-page SEO techniques will help search engines understand, recognize, and rank your website’s contents. The on-page SEO checklist will ensure that you do not leave behind any parameter that will improve the website’s rankings.
It is important to note that executing on-page SEO alone will not be effective without the support of both technical and off-page SEO strategies. All these techniques work hand-in-hand to increase visibility and, consequently, the website’s web traffic. It is important to get an in-depth understanding of how the strategy would increase organic traffic on the site as much as it might seem difficult to execute all on-page SEO strategies.
Script Millers provides the following steps on how to do on-page SEO effectively:
Do a thorough keyword research to find the most used keywords.
The first step for an on-page SEO checklist is to find the best keyword by looking at the most sought-after word in input queries. The most effective keyword(s) must have the following characteristics:
- It should be relevant to the subject matter (theme) and give a precise description of the main topic of the content.
- The keyword must be a search query that is often searched by users and especially the target audience. The number of searches done on the keyword should be able to drive traffic to your website.
- The keyword should be within the competitive power of your site. Ensure that your site has adequate online authority to rank above other competitor sites using the intended keyword.
Choose the ultimate primary keyword for your content.
Once you decide on the keyword or phrase that you are going to use as the primary keyword, assign it to one page of your website. Ensure that you allocate different keywords for your various pages. As an effective strategy, you could opt to create a schedule for fresh content and assign specific keywords on each page. A key rule in performing on-page SEO is that you should never use similar keywords in different pages within your website. What happens if you fail to assign the keywords to specific pages?
In case you assign similar keywords to more than one page, there are great chances of keyword cannibalization. Keyword cannibalization occurs when search engines fail to recognize which page is more important than the other. When this happens, search engines may fail to rank the pages with very similar keywords.
Choose a few keywords that relate to the primary keyword.
Secondary keywords are words or phrases that relate semantically or are synonyms to the primary keyword. Choose three to five secondary words to support the primary keyword(s). Content creators should perform a keyword search to find related keywords. These keywords are the LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing) keywords.
Create a distribution plan for your primary keywords in the content
Once you settle on the primary and secondary keywords, you have to create a plan for how you will distribute your keywords within the content. Decide how you will use the keyword. Will the keyword be on evergreen content, a landing page, or a timely blog post? Decide on the length of your content and decide how your keyword will support your marketing strategies. The following strategies will help you create a plan for your keywords:
- Create content that relates to how users use the keyword in their search queries. Ensure that whatever you create will help will provide users with what they are looking for. This way, you will maximize relevance.
- Improve on current content that uses the keyword. Review different content that uses the same keyword to elevate your ability to create content that is better, more valuable, and contains original information.
Create a title that has the primary keywords
As a content creator, you must ensure that you create a title that appeals to both the audience and search engines. With the correct name title, you can appeal to both of these sides at the same time. Include the primary keyword in the title to make it recognizable by search engines. As for the audience, ensure that the title you create is descriptive and concise. A descriptive title informs users of the relevance of the content.
Use header tags in your title.
Always ensure that you include H1 title tags on the main titles of your pages. The H1 title tags act as HTML codes that notify search engines that the words indicate the page title. In addition to this, the header tags also notify search engines that the title provides an important description of the content provided on the page.
Create original content
Search engines penalize duplicated content. For this reason, content creators should provide original content on their pages. Ensure that you do not copy or duplicate previous works by other pages. In addition to this, always ensure that you do not provide a duplicate of your previous content. Content created should possess some sense of originality.
Check on the length of your content.
Content length will depend on the purposes of the content and the depth of the subject matter. However, scriptmillers.com who are experts in content creation advice that content on any web page should not be less than 300 words. Content creators should aim at creating content with at least 800 words. Search engines prefer detailed posts to shallow ones. Therefore to receive better ranking by search engines, it is advisable to make your content as detailed as possible.
Create content that is of high-quality
As a content creator, you must always provide content that is useful to your audience. The primary focus of creating your content should be to provide useful and valuable information to your audience. Understanding the audience would greatly help in knowing which content they would find as relevant.
Check on the readability of your content.
It is advisable to always create content that is readable for the eighth-grade level. As much as you are creating content that is of high quality, ensure that your content is readable to someone with eighth-grade ability. The Flesch Readability Scale helps you increase the readability of your content. Increasing content readability means that you write short paragraphs and sentences using simple terms. The use of complex jargon is highly discouraged.
Readability analysis checks on the following key aspects:
- The use of transitional words
- Flesch Readability Ease
- The use of passive voice
- Subheading distribution
- Length of the paragraphs
- Sentence length
- Consecutive sentence
Check on the primary keyword density.
Search engines can identify the main theme of your content by tracking the content’s use of keywords. It is advisable to use the keyword at least two or three times in every 100 words in the content. This way, you create a 2-3% keyword density, which is the recommended amount. Exceeding this limit will result in keyword stuffing.
Use the keyword at least once in the subheadings.
Try using the keyword at least once in your subheadings to tie the primary keyword to the content. A good content creator will use the primary keywords in more than one subheading as long as you use them naturally.
Use the secondary keywords at least once within the body of your content.
As you create your content, ensure that you include the secondary keywords at least once within the body. Try to use them naturally without forcing them in the content.
Use header tags on your subheadings.
Using header tags will help search engines identify the main title as well as the subheadings within the content. Such HTML codes will help the search engines identify which sections are more important than the others.
Use the primary keyword in the first and last paragraph of your content.
As a rule of thumb, you have to include the target keyword in the first and the last paragraph. This way, you reinforce the subject matter of the content and will help the search engines know why the content is relevant.
Provide at least one image
Spice up your content by adding at least one image to make it more interesting. However, adding an image is not enough. There are a few parameters that you need to check when decide to add an image. These parameters include the following:
- The size of the image: make sure that the image size will not slow down the site’s loading speed.
- The title of the image: Always include the primary keyword to the title of the image.
- Image file name: Before uploading your desired image, ensure that the name of the file includes the primary keyword.
- Image alt tag: As you add your graphic, include the primary keyword in the image alt tag.
Include the primary keyword on the URL
Always add the primary keyword on the URL of the page. Also, make sure you do not add any unnecessary words and special characters when creating the URL.
Include a Meta title and a Meta description
A Meta title helps search engines in identifying the page title. Typically, the Meta title appears on SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages). Always ensure that you optimize the Meta titles by using the primary keyword and not exceeding 60 characters. A Meta description also helps in gaining online authority. Your Meta description should support the Meta title. Similarly, include the primary keyword on towards the start of the description—both the Meta title and the Meta description help in persuading users to click on your content.
Insert internal and external links
Help crawlers understand the relevance of your content by providing external links to other high-quality sites. In addition to this, adding internal links to your content is a great on-page SEO strategy. A great way to add the internal links is by using the other page’s primary keyword as the anchor text for the internal link.
Proofread and check your work
Always ensure that you proofread your work to eliminate any grammatical errors. In addition to this, check your work to ensure that you follow all on-page SEO steps. Luckily, our on-page SEO cheat sheet will make you achieve this goal.
The on-page SEO cheat sheet by scriptmillers.com will greatly help in increasing organic traffic on your page. As seen above, the on-site optimization of SEO is a lot more than the total number of keywords used in the content. Regardless, the primary keyword is the backbone of the on-page SEO cheat sheet. Therefore, content creators should intensively research on the type of keywords to concentrate on their content. Tools such as ‘Google Suggest’ and SEMRUSH help in conducting keyword research to help identify the keywords searched by users. This way, it would be easier to create useful content that resonates with users. In case you need help in executing on-page SEO strategies, contact scriptmillers.com to place your order.