The World Wide Web provides the most cost-effective way to market your business content. Anyone can develop a website for different reasons. However, the effectiveness of the site is entirely dependent on the owner of the website. According to Script Millers, the simplest way to make facilitate website effectiveness is by updating website content. Find out how.
Content creation experts such as the Script Millers hugely advocate on updating website content regularly. According to these experts, frequent updates are highly beneficial to the owner of the website and to the site itself. How so? Read on to find out all the 20 strategies for updating website content regularly.
What is Website Update?
A website update is the changes in an existing update that brings in new features, new contents, or new appearance of a website to improve the effectiveness of the site. Web updates can occur in two ways:
- Updating the security features of the website (done by updating the CMS)
- Updating the contents of the website (editing by use of CMS)
So, does updating your website help SEO? Find out through the 20 strategies provide for updating web content regularly.
All the 20 Strategies for Updating Website Content Regularly
Review your website’s content and design
Before starting the update process, ensure that you review the entire site. Ensure that you make a thorough review of the website, including the features, the design, and the information provided. The review will help you figure out what changes are necessary for your website.
Check your SEO before making any updates on your website
SEO is an essential aspect of web content. For your site to be ranked highly in search engines, you have to make sure that your site adheres to optimization strategies.
Analyze the current performance of your website
Before attempting to edit your website, consider analyzing the overall performance of your site. If your site is performing well, then strategize on improving the site. However, in case the site is performing poorly, you will have to strategize on how to make it rank better.
Solicit feedback from your users
Feedbacks from users can significantly help in figuring out the necessity of updating your website. A content creator creates content for a specific audience. Hence, to deliver their needs and improve their experience on your site, seeking feedback would be of great help. This way, you can figure out what the audience prefers and how best to deliver their needs.
Change the visual approach of your website
In case you decide to update your web content, changing the visual approach would be a great way to start the process. The first impression usually matters a lot. Moreover, content with compelling visual representations such as images gets more shares and views than those without.
Changing the web standards
As a strategy in updating website content, always consider checking updates on the web standards. Check the validity of your source code (CSS and HTML). An important aspect of increasing the usability of the website is acknowledging and understanding the rapid changes in web standards. Most sites conform to the latest standards. Old website standards might contain a lot of HTML codes, which slows down the loading speed of the sites.
Create new contents or update the existing ones
Updating website content does not necessarily mean editing old content. Sometimes you could decide to upload fresh, new content altogether. The update process could be a new post or minor and significant changes to existing posts.
Perform A/B testing
As a content update strategy, performing A/B testing could be an excellent means of evaluating the effectiveness of your site. What is A/B testing? The A/B testing technique involves the creation of two different versions of the same content and testing them against each other. This way, you can figure out which update strategies are better.
Ensure that any tool on the website is working and up to date
Consider checking whether the tools provided are working and up to date. This way, you can improve on the performance of your site via a fresh update. Script Millers advise that you check whether all links are working as well as the features and plugins.
Provide newer links to better sources
A primary strategy in updating website content is by providing audiences with newer links to better sources. Sometimes old sites might contain broken links that are irrelevant to the audience. Hence, providing better links to your audience during the update process would be of great help.
Check out what your competition is doing differently
Always consider checking out what your competitor sites are doing differently. Remember, in case you on search engines, your competitors are doing better than yourself. Thus, you might need to evaluate the unique strategies they are implementing to beat your site.
Check your website’s analytics
Your website’s analytics should be a guide to any updates. Find out which of your sites are doing better than others. Make sure you figure out the unique aspects that make other sites or pages rank higher than others. According to Script Millers, a keen observation of the analytics might guide you on the necessary changes.
Update your keywords to optimize searches
One of the significant strategies of improving the SEO of your content is by maximizing the use of keywords. When updating your content, ensure that you update the keywords to suit recent searches on search engines.
Market your content as new content
As an online marketing strategy, always treat your updated content as new content. Market the content to get more visitors than the previous content. This strategy increases the chance of a higher ranking by search engines.
Fix any errors from the old website
As a way of updating your old website, ensure that you fix any existing errors such as grammatical errors, punctuation errors, or errors arising from formatting. New content should have less or zero errors.
Improve user experience by providing easier navigation
User experience (UX) refers to the experience of visitors on your site. Use experience includes information such as how fast your site is, how relevant the experience is as well as easy is to use the website. Updating your website should have a focus on offering visitors the premium experience.
Improve on use of calls to actions
A call to action (CTA) is a link or button placed on a website used to drive prospective customers to become leads by completing an action on your landing page. Old websites lack effective calls to action that help in converting users into long term customers.
Make your website mobile-friendly (responsive)
Today’s world is a Smartphone society. Most people spend most of their time on their phones. Therefore, mobile-friendly web updates are a necessity. It is advisable to mold websites into mobile-friendly designs to ease navigation by mobile users. The designs allow websites to adapt to changes in screen sizes. Failure to mold your website into mobile-friendly designs could be a potential risk to your site.
Consider current trends
The digital age comes with a lot of constant changes. Therefore, you cannot afford to have your website looking old and goofy. According to Scriptmillers.com, fresh and trendy contents attract more visitors to your website. Updating website content with current trends increases the overall conversation rates of your website.
Provide fresh updates to your website
Note that updates of websites differ from updates of web content. Updating your website increases the security of your website, hence reducing any hacking attempts. Frequent updates of CMS, such as WordPress, are necessary to ensure maximum security. These updates can either be manually or automatically.
Best Way to Update Website
Once you have your website running, you might be wondering about how to make any changes. There are two options for making changes on your website:
- Use online editing tools provided by the host, i.e., using the developer’s CMS (Content Management Systems)
- Buy website editing software such as Easy WebContent and Adobe Contribute
Most content websites are based on CMS, such as WordPress or Joomla. Since WordPress more popular, this article elaborates on how to change website content using WordPress. Thus said, how do you update web server data? The steps are as below.
Points to Consider Before Editing Your Site
It is important to understand the task of editing before starting to edit. You could be having the best editing tools, but without the necessary skills, your editing might turn disastrous. It is, therefore, important to seek the skills needed to update your site before choosing the correct skills.
How to Update a Website Using WordPress
WordPress is the most popular Content Management System (CMS) in the world. Updating content on WordPress requires that you have Editor, Author, Administrator, or Contributor privileges. Not anyone has the mandate to make changes to the WordPress website.
The addition of content into WordPress can be done in the form of a page or a post. For a page, the content is not time-dependent. The content could be a page on the ‘About’ section or ‘Contact.’ On the other hand, a post is content that is time-relevant and shown in reverse-chronological order. For posts, a section of comments can be included as well as an associated RSS feed. The content could be on the ‘News’ or ‘Events’ section.
Website Update Steps Using WordPress
Before embarking on the editing process, make sure you assess whether your content needs assessment. The website content update process below makes it easy to update website contents.
Editing a Post Using WordPress
- Log into your WordPress content
- In case you are editing a post, here are the steps
- Click on ‘Post’ then click on ‘All Posts’
- Select the post you are planning to edit
- Click on the title of the post
- Make the necessary changes on your post
- Save your changes
- Saving your work may be in three different ways:
- In case you would like to edit your work later, click on ‘Save Draft.’
- You could also click on ‘Publish’ if you are done with the necessary changes and are ready to post the new content into the website
- In case you are done with editing the post, but you would like it to go ‘live,’ click on ‘Edit,’ next to ‘Publish immediately’ and choose the time you would like the edited post to go live
Editing a Page Using WordPress
Start by logging into WordPress
- Click on ‘Post’ then on All Pages
- Find the page you are planning to edit
- Click on the title of the page
- Make the necessary changes
Saving your work may be in three different ways:
- Click on ‘Save Draft’ you are planning to pause the editing process
- If the editing process is complete, click on ‘Publish’ to post the page on your website
- In case you are ready to publish your content but intend to make it go ‘live’ later on, click on ‘Edit’ next to ‘Publish immediately’ and choose the time you would like the page to go live
How to Add New Content on Your WordPress Website
The addition of new content into WordPress content can be in the form of a page or a post. Below is a step by step guide on how to update blog on website using fresh contents:
Addition of a New Post
- Log into your WordPress website
- Click on ‘Post’ then ‘Add New’
- Add in your content and remember to include a Title
- Choose the appropriate category for your post (if applicable)
- Save your content. New content is saved by:
- ‘Save Draft’ in case you are planning to continue with your editing later
- If the editing is complete, click ‘Publish’ to post the content on your website
- In case the editing is complete, but you want the post to go ‘live’ later on, click on ‘Edit’ next to ‘Publish immediately’ then choose the time you would like your content to go live
Addition of a New Page
- After logging into your WordPress website, click on ‘Page’ then ‘Add New’
- Add your content and remember to include the title of the page
- Save your work. Saving can be in the following ways:
- ‘Save Draft’ in case you are planning to continue with your editing later
- If the editing is complete, click ‘Publish’ to post the content on your website
- In case the editing is complete, but you want the page to go ‘live’ later on, click on ‘Edit’ next to ‘Publish immediately’ then choose the time you would like your content to go live
N/B: To start on a new paragraph during the editing process, press on ‘Return.’ To start on a new line, press ‘Shift + Return.’
The procedures above best answers questions on how to update a live website and how to update website content automatically.
Why is it Important to Update Website Content?
Most people are often advised on updating the contents regularly. However, some do not understand the importance of updating website content regularly. Here are some of the reasons to redesign your website:
- For frequent indexing of your content on search engines such as Google, Yahoo, and Bing often index different sites. Newer and better content get higher rankings than older content. Therefore, to receive and maintain higher rankings, it is advisable to often refresh your web content.
- To improve your online authority: a higher ranking on search engines build on your online authority. Therefore, to improve or maintain online authority, web content creators often update their content.
- Updating website content keeps your audience informed and updated: Updating your content gives you a chance to add any new information on the content. This way, your audience becomes more updated on any new information concerning your content.
- Changes in user behavior: user behavior include, time on site or the bouncing rate. Sometimes, there are changes in user behavior that would prompt you to update your site. For example, if your site is experiencing a higher bouncing rate or less time on-site, then the content might be irrelevant to your audience. In case this occurs, you will realize that you need to update your website
- To improve user experience on your website: for easier navigation in your site, you could decide to update your content, including the features in the website. This way, you are likely to promote customer satisfaction by providing the best user experience
- To keep up with changes in your website analytics: sometimes, when you analyze the effectiveness of your website, you might realize that it needs some polishing after all.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Website Content Updates
Q. Do I need to update a website?
A. A website update is very important if you want to maintain and improve the effectiveness of your site. This article provides the steps on how to update an old website as well as a new one.
Q. Is it easy to update a website?
A. A website update is quite easy to conduct. If you need to update the content, read the procedure above. However, updates of the CMS might need an expert if you are not conversant with Content Management Systems. The website update cost is dependent on the expert.
Q. How often should you update? / How often should you update your website content? / When should I update content?
A. Experts on SEO such recommend that updates should occur as often as possible. According to Scriptmillers.com, the updates should be monthly or weekly, depending on any necessary changes.
Q. How do I manage website content?
A. It is important to note that not anyone can manage website content. Management of website content is by Content Management Systems (CMS) such as WordPress. Updating content on WordPress requires that you have Editor, Author, Administrator, or Contributor privileges.
In conclusion, there are several strategies for updating website content. However, the effectiveness of these strategies is entirely dependent on the input of the site’s owner. Thus said, the implementation of web update strategies would go a long way into improving the rankings of the site.